Friday, September 26, 2008

Get Rid of that Vicious Dog!

My mother-in-law called my husband this afternoon to tell him to "Get rid of that dog". She proceeded to tell him that my sister-in-law had called her to tell her we got a dog that is part rottweiler and that they are all VERY worried about my kids. First of all, we are responsible adults, who put our children's safety first. Second, our vicious dog is 87.5% Great Dane and 12.5% Rottweiler. I did my homework. I did research on the web, and talked to several people who have owned Great Danes and or had family who owned them. I plan on being very diligent about training my dog, and I know that Great Danes are very docile dogs and good with children. The main complaint so far about adult Danes is that they tend to knock children down with their tail when they wag it. As for the 12% rottweiler, I learned that Rotts are also good with children, but shouldn't be left alone outside with small children. Damn, I had planned on leaving my 2 year old and my baby outside with the dog as a babysitter. Right now, I can't leave the children alone with the dog, because I am concerned that they will hurt her.

Welcome to the family, Autumn! So far, their opinion of you rates right up there with their opinion of me. I am a terrible wife, who neglects, abuses and imprisons my husband; neglects my children; I don't work; and I don't do anything around the house. AHHHHHHHHH--I am irritated, but not surprised! They should've expected that I, of all people, would bring a vicious animal into my home.

3 comments:

Dawn Allenbach said...

Rottweiler = babysitter, especially if you get one from a conscientious breeder and not one who breeds the meanest ones he can find.

Rotties as a general rule are big teddy bears who don't realize they're big. Each of the three my parents have had over the years thought they were lap dogs. They knock over kids and some adults because they're hugging or kissing (especially kids with food on their faces).

Yes, a Dane can knock over a child with its tail. So can labs and Golden retrievers -- the most popular "kids dogs."

If it makes you feel any better, my parents have had their current Rottie for seven years, he was raised with my niece and small cousins -- and my paternal grandmother is still convinced he's going to snap one day and kill us all.

Jennifer said...

The last thing she said was, "If great danes aren't properly socialized, they will jump on you" WOW--never knew a dog that got excited and jumped before?! How shocking! Must get rid of her now--so much easier than to teach her not to jump!

Dawn Allenbach said...

All dogs jump when they're young, but that's why someone invented TRAINING.