Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Bedrail!

I just got done installing a bedrail on my side of our king size bed. A bedrail? Yes, Brady & I enjoy having our children sleep in our bed with us, but there is one problem. Jaxon is a wild sleeper, and Brady doesn't have the heart to move him over, so he usually moves to another bed halfway through the night! We are both getting sick of that, but don't want to see the kids sleep by themselves, so I came up with a brilliant idea. Jaxon can sleep on the edge of my side, then me, Bradyn and then Brady. That way we can all sleep together, and we are all comfortable and safe! I NEVER thought I'd see the day when I had 2 children sleeping in my bed, but here it is!

I swear, Brady enjoys having the kids in our bed as much as I do. There was a time when he complained, so I started putting the kids in their own beds. After a couple of times of hearing, "Go get them", I don't even waste my time anymore. I know a lot of people would say this is CRAZY and that it gets in the way of intimacy of a man & wife, and it is hard to break . . so on & so forth. I would like to remind those people that 1. There are other places for extra curricular activities other than the bedroom (and we do have more than one bedroom in our house) and 2. Teaching your kids to sleep in their beds by letting them cry for several hours for 2 or 3 nights just reinforces to them that Mommy & Daddy are not always there when they need us. I want my children to know that when they cry out for me, that I will come and that they can always count on me when they are feeling scared or alone. By doing this, I hope to instill self-confidence and security in them. It is proven that children who have their needs met are more confident and successful as adults.

No comments: