Saturday, February 03, 2007

Help?!

How can a person be a Harry Potter fan & a Slytherin fan at the same time?! I recently read a blog, and learned that there are fans out there who are BIG Slytherin fans. I am clearly very naive or sheltered, because it never occurred to me that there were so many Slytherin fans out there! My opinion is that you can't be a fan of Harry & cheer for the Slytherins because all the Slytherins hate Harry! I can't imagine reading the books and cheering for Harry's demise! I am a HUGE Harry fan, and am reading the books for the umpteenth time. I tried to figure out how many times I have read them, and come up with at least 8, but probably more! Leave a comment, because I would love to hear your thoughts on this! If there are any Slytherins reading this blog, bring it on--explain yourselves! I am very curious about your feelings toward Harry, and your reasons for choosing Slytherin!

3 comments:

Dawn Allenbach said...

To help in your understanding, you might recall that in the first book, the Sorting Hat was going to put Harry in Slytherin. Also consider that the only Slytherins we ever see in the book are the REALLY bad ones (Draco, Crabb, Goyle, and a few others). Just because a house has a particular reputation doesn't mean that everyone in that house is like that. Remember when Harry was getting a lot of air time in The Daily Prophet in book five (or was it four?)? Very few of the "brave and virtuous" Gryffindors stood by him and believed in him -- not even some of his dorm-mates.

I personally am of the opinion that Snape truly is a spy for the Order. My take on him killing Dumbledore was that the two of them had a deal worked out together far ahead of time. Dumbledore knew that there was a possibility that he might end up in the hands of the Death Eaters, and he knew they would very likely torture him for information. In my mind, he made Snape promise that if there were no chance of Dumbledore being rescued, Snape was to end it quickly.

I'm not saying that Snape is a saint, because he obviously holds too much against Harry for James's and Sirius's teasing.

Just my two cents.

Jennifer said...

Thanks for your two cents! I agree with you on the Snape-Dumbledore thing. I think that is what they were arguing about earlier in the book! Good take on the Slytherins!

Dawn Allenbach said...

I just think of Sirius -- he's a pure-blood wizard, but he doesn't hate "Mud-bloods."