Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tribute to My Benny


I sent my little buddy to heaven today. It makes me so sad! I have had him since July of 1996 and life won't be the same without him. He was old and failing and I made the choice to end the pain and suffering he was experiencing. I knew it was time, when touching his frail little body made him cry out in pain. I stroked his little neck this morning when I got home from work and he cried out and ran and hid from me. I had hurt him in a tender touch, and I refused to allow that to continue to happen. Jaxon, Benny, Cheyenne and I all went up for a nap, and when we woke, I called Dr. Mills. She came to the house and compassionately administered a medication that put him into a deep sleep. It was the same medicine used to anesthesize animals prior to surgery. After that she stopped his little heart. The first medication was supposed to be given IM, but the little guy didn't even have enough muscle to inject the medicine into, so she had to inject into the small amount of subcutaneous tissue in his back leg. He went peacefully at home in our kitchen. I didn't have to take him to a vet clinic, so it wasn't as scarey for him as it could have been.
Benny has been there for me for almost 11 years. He was there when I hurt and was always good for a snuggle during a rough time. Cheyenne & Benny were my family for so many years, and got me through some really rough times. I hate that he is gone, but I know that keeping him here would not have been fair. Goodbye, Little Buddy! You are missed and will be in my heart forever!

2 comments:

Dawn Allenbach said...

::hugs you::

I'm so sorry, hon.

Deeniemick's Domain said...

You did what was best for Benny!