Saturday, October 20, 2007

Dumbledore Gay?!

I have been thinking about this information all day, and would like to share some of my thoughts! First of all, I must make it clear that it doesn't change the way I feel about the character. Why would it? I still think he is THE kewlist!! It is shocking, kinda like when you find out a secret about somebody you thought you knew really well! At first, I thought "NO WAY" , he doesn't seem gay to me. I did give it some further thought, and decided that I could accept it, and in my mind compared him to Nate from the Oprah show. Another gay man, who I think is awesome, and in some ways like Dumbledore. The only obvious difference is Nate is HOT!

I have always wondered if Dumbledore had a thing with Madam Pomfrey, Professor McGonnagal or both. Now, I know I was way off. If J.K. Rowling would have said Professor Slughorn was gay, I would have said, "I can see that", but it is a little harder for me to see Professor Dumbledore as gay! What do you think??? Leave a comment!!!

2 comments:

Dawn Allenbach said...

Truth be told, I never gave a thought to Dumbledore's sexuality, mainly because it's not important to the story. Obviously, it wasn't or it would have come out long before now. Him being gay was always in Rowling's mind because she had to develop him into a full being for her to be able to write him. One thing that every writer is encouraged to do is to fully develop a character -- you should think not only of height, weight, body build, and eye and hair color, but also favorite color, preferred toothpaste, etc., etc. A lot of that may never make it into the story/book, but it makes the character more real. Does that make sense?

Jennifer said...

It totally makes sense, and I know we will continue to learn more about all of the Harry Potter characters . . and will be very interesting, as this was.